Farro, is a group of ancient whole grains comprised of 3 ancient wheat types. This ancient grain is sourced from Italy and is known for its complex nutty taste and it's similar appearance to brown rice grains. Because farro is so easily digested and so low in gluten, farro can often be eaten by people who are gluten intolerant.
SERVES: 6 - SERVING: 3 oz
2 cup farro, rinsed and drained
2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
(Veggies for the Tahiri)
2 pounds sweet potato (about 2), peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sunflower oil
1 head of cauliflower, 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets into pea size
2 medium carrots, ½ cup chopped diced ¼ inch cubes
12 french beans, ⅓ cup chopped into ½ inch sized
½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
(Whole Spice masala)
3 whole green cardamoms
1 small cinnamon stick
(For the Masala)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 red onions, sliced thin, about 1 cup
1 tsp salt
2 medium sized tomatoes, diced, about ½ cup
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 green chili, seeds removed slit into half
2 tsp Keralan Curry Spice Blend
1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves
½ tbsp lemon juice
To roast the sweet potato:
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in the center.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tsp oil, and salt with sweet potato, toss until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet, spreading evenly.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven to roast, stirring every 15 minutes, until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
To Make the Tahiri:
- Preheat heat a dutch oven, medium high heat, add 1tbsp of oil
- Add the whole masala and sauté till the spices are fragrant for about 2 minutes
- Now add the sliced onions, and add the 1 tbsp of salt and sauté until the onion become golden
- Reduce the heat to medium
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for about 2 minutes
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and and sauté for another 3 minutes
- Now add the spices and the chili and sauté for another minute
- Now add the rinsed farro and the salt and sauté for another minute.
- Now add the water + vegetable stalk cook on medium high and once the liquid boil close the lid and seal it with an aluminum foil and cook on low heat for another 30 minutes
- Take the lid off and add the roasted sweet potato, cilantro and mint and the lemon juice and fluff the faro
If the farro is not cooked, close the lid and turn off the heat and keep it for another two minute.